Head Children and Prefects
In Year 6, children will have the opportunity to apply for the position of ‘Head Children’ or ‘School Prefects’. The pupils are given the opportunity to apply for these roles and will be chosen because they have demonstrated the skills, attitudes and commitment necessary. They will be regarded as positive members of our school community and are held in high esteem by the school community.
The children have important jobs to do in order to ensure smooth day-to-day running and organisation of the day. They hold many important duties and responsibilities and form a team to support the Head teacher. This provides children with invaluable opportunities to enrich their ‘life skills’. Chosen pupils are aware that not following expectations and responsibilities could risk losing their roles.
- Head Boy/Girl
- Deputy Head Boy/Girl
Download: Heirarchy of Responsibility [PDF]
- Consistent high standard of behaviour and conduct, supporting the values from the school mission statement.
- A high standard of attendance and punctuality.
- An ability to express themselves and communicate effectively with their peers and adults in the setting.
- An excellent attitude to learning in the classroom, willingness to participate in activities on a wider context.
- The ability to work as a team, show initiative and follow instructions.
- A clear understanding of how all children can contribute to St Matthew’s across all age groups
Roles and Responsibilities for Head Children:
- To be a role model for other pupils, to wear the school uniform correctly and with pride.
- To be punctual and well-prepared for their responsibilities.
- To promote the school mission statement and encourage others of this.
- To work with the school council and support their activities.
- Take part in induction of new pupils to the school.
- Represent the school in the community, with school governors and important visitors.
The position of Head Boy/Head Girl and Deputy Head Boy/Deputy Head Girl are allocated to children for that academic year. This is awarded on completion of an application and a follow up meeting with year 6 staff and SLT.
Prefects are chosen on a termly basis, the privilege may become compromised if pupils display any unacceptable behaviour throughout their term.
Head Girl – Heidi McHugh
Head Boy – Marcus Chiduwa
Deputy Head Girl – Heidi Hagan
Deputy Head Boy – William Burns
This is a NEW type of leader we have been developing over the past year. This is a very important role that children have been specifically chosen for because we believe they are the right children to help lead our school in positive playtimes.
These children wear a specific blue high viz jacket with ‘Playground Buddy’ on.
These children are responsible for;
- Setting up and tidying playground equipment.
- Ensuring all children have somebody to play with and feel happy during playtimes.
- Resolving minor conflicts
- Demonstrating what a fun and positive playtime should be look like
|Eve Mae English Bowen|
|Sadie Brierley Smith|
|Bella Lea Dixon|
This is for KS2 only. It is run by KS2 Councillors and Parliamentarians and will be coordinated by Mr Grieves and Mrs Evans. It is a non-profit project and all money raised will be used to buy more goods to sell. Healthy Options (fruit, etc) will be sourced as we are a Healthy School and must continue to promote healthy lifestyle choices. Special treats will be at the discretion of the Headteacher. A container has been purchased for the back yard to store items for sale. The tuckshop will be open at playtime. Money for the tuckshop will be sent in every Monday and recorded by teachers. All proceeds from the tuckshop will go towards projects decided by Councillors and the Headteacher.