Transition to St Matthew’s
Practitioners in St Matthew’s recognise the importance of children experiencing a smooth transition to our Foundation Stage from their Pre-school settings.
In the Summer term the school hold a variety of events to welcome our prospective families:
- Open days to look around the provision and meet staff
- Taster sessions for children to spend time in their new classroom
- EYFS lead and staff will visit children in their Nursery
- EYFS lead and staff will conduct home visits to meet children and parents
- All children will be given a welcome pack including a home-school link book and teddy
- Parents are invited to welcome meetings prior to their children starting at St Matthew’s
Transition to Year 1
EYFS staff will adjust their teaching and learning to prepare our Reception children for moving to Year 1.
- Introduce elements gradually to ensure a sensitive approach.
- Summer term – adjust teaching/organisation to smooth transition.
- Reinforce routines and elements that are the same to deal with uncertainties.
- Classroom visits/organised activities.
- Meet with Year 1 practitioners.
- Moderation meetings between EYFS and Year 1 staff to secure judgements and inform planning in Year 1 Autumn Term.
- Implement moving on up days/events.
- Compile transition packs/strategies for identified pupils, work with Inclusion Manager.
- Moving up event
In Year 1
- Practitioners to adjust curriculum and organise the environment accordingly with the cohort.
- Ensure the provision is matched to the need of the cohort through comprehensive analysis of EYFS profile data, monitor impact and move on when appropriate.
Moving Up Assembly
At the end of the year we hold a special moving up ceremony for parents, children and staff to mark the end of our Early Year’s journey and to celebrate their time spent in Reception.